Thursday, August 21, 2014

Greek Night Part 3: Spank-a-rollup

This was not a planned dish for the evening, but when I was done with the Baklava, I still had about 12 sheets of phyllo dough so I through this together from my memory of the one time I assisted my friend Kahlil in making his Spanakopitas. 

Last Minute Spanakopita Roll Ups

(makes two rolls)
Ingredients
1 pound of spinach, washed, chopped and raw
¼ cup of feta, crumbled
¾ cup of Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon dill
salt and pepper to taste
12 sheets phyllo dough
¼ cup of olive oil
Directions
Mix the spinach, feta, yogurt dill, parsley, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
Stack 3 sheets of phyllo dough (brushing in between each with olive oil to get them to stick together nicely).
Place the half of spinach/feta/yogurt mixture on top of the phyllo dough.
Again, Stack 3 sheets of phyllo dough (brushing in between each with olive oil to get them to stick together nicely).
Roll carefully into tube shape from the narrow end.
Brush the top of phyllo dough rolls with olive oil.
Bake in a preheated 350F oven until golden brown on top, about 30 minutes.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes and then slice and serve .

Pictured: Not mine, this photo is thanks to Google Image Search.

Again, I failed on taking photos, but (also again) much like the Baklava, these went very quickly and I only managed to save 2 pieces for Husband. Granted, this recipe doesn't make a huge number of bites, but that is because of the last minuteness of the dish.

These turned out! For a brain baby recipe, this turned out perfect. I think the only thing I would "change" is simply to add more feta in and maybe a dash of onion and garlic next time.

Until the next last minute idea....

No comments:

Post a Comment