Thursday, August 14, 2014

For Melanie: Crockpot French Onion Soup

I love french onion soup with a passion, thanks to my Maman (Mommy). I am a big believer in the long cooking process it takes, complete with scrapings and deglazing of the pan. Most people don't like taking THAT long to cook or that much effort just for a soup, so I cam up with a recipe that should give you the best of both worlds as well as an easy reheatable meal.

Crockpot French Onion Soup
Ingredients
5 medium yellow onions, halved, peeled, and thinly sliced
¼ cup Butter, pieced or 2-3 tablespoons of Olive oil (for Vegan)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Coarse salt and ground pepper
32-48 ounces vegetable broth, your preference on how brothy you would like it.
Serve with Crusty Bread and Swiss Cheese or Parmesan Cheese
Preparation
 Put onion. Butter or oil, salt in the Crockpot and Cover
Cook for 6-8 hours  on low. (I started it right before going to bed)
Wake up to the smell of delicious smelling onions.
Cover with Vegetable Broth.
Allow to cook on Low for another 4 hours
Season to taste with Salt and pepper.
When serving, garnish soup with shaved Parmesan or Swiss and a slice of crusty bread. (use a vegan substitute or leave out altogether)

If freezing, allow to cool completely before placing in freezer.

I dolled mine up a little bit cooking the onions with 6 mushrooms stems or so, which I then took out before adding the Broth. That is a personal preference for me though, and I know it is not a traditional ingredient to French Onion Soup. Granted, neither is vegetable stock. Normally, it would be made with Beef stock, but I am shooting for 3 Vegetarian meals this week.

I ended up freezing the larger one as well as one of the medium sized ones. 
Husband and I were both very happy with how this turned out. While it tastes hardy, it doesn't weigh you down like a Chowder or Chili.

2 out of 2 people agree: Give this one try.

No comments:

Post a Comment