Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Greek Night Part 1: BOCK - la - vah

I had some friends over last week and while we were deciding what we should eat, it was agreed that Greek sounded great. With Hummus and Chicken Skewers coming, I decided to make a few little things.

First off, Dessert: Easy Baklava Roll ups
Ingredients
Butter-flavored cooking spray
1/4 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup pistachios
1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup honey, divided
12 sheets phyllo dough
Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a cookie sheet with butter flavored spray. Reserve.
In a food processor, combine almonds and pistachios. Pulse to coarsely chop. Add butter, cinnamon, and sugar and pulse to combine. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Place 1 sheet of phyllo on a flat work surface, short side facing you. Spray with butter flavored spray. Repeat with second layer. Spread 1/3 of nut mixture over the dough, leaving a 1-inch margin at the top and bottom.
Drizzle with 2 tablespoons honey.
Cover with a layer of phyllo, spray with butter-flavored spray. Repeat with second layer of phyllo. Spray with butter-flavored spray.
Starting from the bottom, roll up into a thin cylinder (like a cigar) to the top.
Seam-side down, cut crossways into 5 sections. Transfer to baking sheet, seam side down. Spray with butter-flavored spray.
Repeat with second and third batch.
Bake until crust is evenly golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven, drizzle with 2 tablespoons honey and serve.

This is one of the 2 pictures I got of my Phyllo Dough roll ups. 

Unfortunately, my food processor is broken. (SAD FACE)

I made it work by pulsing the nut is my food processor briefly, and then mixing cinnamon and butter in by hand to keep it nice a crumbly.

These were a hit. I actually had to pull some off the plate to make sure Husband got to try them. I failed to get any photos of them being fully baked and sliced and drizzled with more honey because I was having so much fun with my friends. ...oops...

Until the next dessert...





No comments:

Post a Comment