Wednesday, March 5, 2014

I get a little behind during Lent...

So as this most reflective of seasons begins, most Christians are considering what to "Give Up" for Lent. As a young girl I gave up soda pop, biting my nails, chewing gum, candy, etc. I used the season of Lent to fix bad habits or to attempt to lose weight when I got into my 20's. The past few years, I have been deciding to change something or add something to my life. Last year, I made the choice to have 20 minutes of alone time with God everyday. Being stressed with wedding planning last year around this time, it was the best thing I could have ever done for myself. No, it didn't happen EVERYDAY, but it happened most days.

This year, I was unsure of what to do for Lent. I wanted it to be focused on strengthen Husband's and my God's head. So after carefully consideration, Husband and I to do a Lenten Bible study together. We are usung the YouVersion Bible Appand signing up for  and we will be reading and discussing it over dinner or breakfast, depending on the day's schedule. This allows us to accomplish the quality time we need with each other and God during what is sure to be a busy Lenten season.

Another reason I enjoy Lent so much is that Mardi Gras will have happened. That means food, drink, and King's Cake!

"Wait, what is a King's Cake" you ask?

...
...
...

You didn't grow up near the Bayou or with a "Francophile" for a mother, obviously.

Here is what Wiki has to say
A king cake (sometimes rendered as kingcake, kings' cake, king's cake, or three kings cake) is a type of cake associated in a number of countries with the festival of Epiphany at the end of the Christmas season, and in other places with the pre-Lenten celebrations of Mardi Gras / Carnival.
The cake often has a small plastic baby (said to represent Baby Jesus) inside (or sometimes placed underneath), and the person who gets the piece of cake with the trinket has various privileges and obligations. To ensure a random distribution of the cake shares, it is traditional for the youngest person to place themselves under the table and name the recipient of the share which is indicated by the person in charge of the service.

The cake I am making is the combination of the tradition flavors and styles of a Louisiana style King's cake with the filling of a typically Northern France or Canadian King's cake.

Easy French Bayou King Cake
Ingredients:
Cake Dough:
2-3 cans of cinnamon rolls 
Frangipane Filling:
1/2 cup ground almond meal
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
8 oz cream cheese
Method:
Pull cinnamon roll dough out of the cans and roll into one big ball. Knead and roll out flat onto a large floured surface. You should have one large rectangular sheet of dough.
Prepare the cake filling: Using a food processor, combine all the ingredients until a smooth, creamy paste is formed.
Spread filling on top of one half of the pastry dough. Don’t forget to add the plastic baby or Fava Bean or almond to represent the Baby Jesus!)
Roll dough and seal the ends.
Now you would want to twist dough and place the completed ring on the buttered baking sheet.
Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack and hide the plastic baby inside the cake (or just place on the top of cake to avoid someone biting into it).  Pour the icing that came with the rolls on top of the cake while hot and sprinkle with colored sugar (gold, green and purple).



This smelled delicious while it was a cooking. I figured I would serve it up on Mardi Gras proper when we had group dinner. I slipped an almond in as the representation the King.


I colored my own "Edible Glitter" for the occasion!


I am pretty sure that most at group dinner had not heard of King's Cake, but that didn't mean they didn't enjoy the cinnamonalmondness of the cake.


No one actually found the King this go around since we didn't finish the whole cake. Also, instead of going out and attempting to find an actual little plastic baby Jesus, I ended up just rocking out a whole Almond somewhere within the custardy deliciousness! Husband will, no doubt, as he will slowly, but surely will be nibbling off pieces throughout the week.


Until the next Fat Tuesday...

**Today's title comes from Frank Butler, a British sportswriter and author: I get a little behind during Lent, but it comes out even at Christmas.**

No comments:

Post a Comment