Friday, October 18, 2013

Dad, those all come from the same animal...Pork: Part 1

I attempted my first ever pork cooking expedition this week.

My Poppa Bear loves pork. When he comes to visit in California, it's carnitas this and carnitas that.
When I'm home to visit him and his wife in Missouri, I feel like it is my duty to suggest we have pork steak BBQ and pulled pork sandwiches.

Due to these facts, I figured I should give it a try. While there were triumphs and failures, I am very happy with my choice of dishes as one was going to be hard to mess up (stew) while the other was certainly going to be hell on a roasting pan (pork loin). Here is how it went down:

While at the grocery store, I was looking at the options on pork. I knew from research that I wanted a shoulder as I was planning on making a pulled pork stew. I found a 5 pounder for 11 dollars and felt good about it. I brought it home and decided I would make the stuffed pork loin. That way, if I totally messed up on the pork loin, I could save face with the stew. I know I don't need to impress my husband, but I do like to ensure his palate and tummy's faith in me.

After searching for different recipes and seeing what I had in the pantry I decided on brie, apple, and honey stuffed pork loin. I managed to cut a nice flat square of meat and seasoned it salt and pepper.
I sliced up the cheese and apple, placing it on half of the cut followed by adding a bit of parsley and sage and then drizzling it all with honey.


The tricky part was rolling up all the yummy and tying it tight. a bit of salt and pepper on the outside, then *plop*into the roasting pan with two hasselback prepared potatoes (love these, give them a try sometime) as well as chopped carrots and potatoes for the stew that would be made later that week.


Began the roasting process and after the set time pulled it out. I was sad to see that it looked dry. I let it sit for the allotted 10 mins (the meat reabsorbs the juices inside and usually causes a juicer dish). After cutting into it, I found that the underside was still pink (husband and I were both under the impression any pink in pork was a bad thing). Double saddened, I put it back into the oven to finish cooking.


All in all, it was an edible meal. We had applesauce and apple/mint jelly to combat the dryness. While I had a basic recipe for this, I think I should have inquired with my superiors for tips. I had looked up 4 -5 recipes and figured that I had the information I needed to go along with my recipe. As it turns out, the recipes I had gleaned information from had left out a couple major things.

I inquired with my Mother in Love (not Mother in Law because I already love this lady) as well my Substitute Mother, Aunt Eileen (my mother past away when I was young, Eileen doesn't have any children of her own, hence our relationship).

Giving the meat a good brine could have saved me from this dry meat situation. Next time, I will have to leave enough time to do that. I learned turning and basting was very important with a thick cup pork loin like the one I had. Also, giving it a rub with olive oil and seasonings on the outside would have helped as well. Furthermore, putting it in a hot oven for 10 mins (425 degrees) and then turning it down to a medium oven (325 degrees). By doing that, the meat would have gotten hot and then by bringing back to low, would have kept the juices in. It is sort of like when you sear a piece of meat before baking it.

The long and the short of this dish is that I have lot to learn before I attempt this again and I will use a more encompassing recipe. When all else fails, consult the Mothers (and Alton Brown).

Hasselback Potato Recipe:
For one Potato:
Ingredients
1 potato
1 clove garlic, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
Pinch of salt and pepper, respectively

Method:
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2) Wash the potato
3) With a pairing knife, slice thin slits into the potato, being careful not to slice it all the way through.
4) Slip a slice of garlic into every slit (or every other if that is too much garlic for you).
5) Drizzle with olive oil and season
6) Put into oven and cook for 40 mins
7) Allow to cool for 5 minutes after taking them out of the oven

Until next time...

Score as it stands::
Cat: 0
Pig: 1


** Today's title comes from a television legacy: The Simpsons, the episode entitled "Lisa the Vegetarian".
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal! **

No comments:

Post a Comment