Monday, October 28, 2013

I would rather sit on a pumpkin...

 I love fall....back an hour daylight savings weekend. I get to feel like an old woman and go to bed at "9 pm" because my body thinks it is "10 pm". I wake up easily in the morning and get TONS of stuff done on a Monday morning. Most importantly, it means we are getting closer to Thanksgiving and then Christmas!

Getting to host Thanksgiving has always been a joy for my Husband since he began the tradition. He has made the Thanksgiving Turkey every year for the last 7 years. Our friends enjoy the pot-luck-ness of the event and then a few rounds of Rock Band (at least every year I was present).  This year's Thanksgiving is our first as a married couple. Husband proposed to me the Sunday after Thanksgiving last year so this holiday has become quite dear to me.

Normally, Husband does the Turkey, Stuffing/Dressing, and Taters; I do a Veggie Casserole (either corn pudding or cheesy broccoli), a Savory Pie (like an onion tart, a sweet potato pie, or last year's concoction - Brie, Apple, Onion Pie) and a Dessert Pie (either Kahlua pecan or whiskey chocolate). Friends then bring a salad, wine, beer, the Best Yams and Candied Nuts (I'm looking at you, Kim), a Solid Green Bean Casserole (Jessy), rolls, and a selection of what ever else tickles the fancy of the taste buds this year.

A slight curve ball (not a bad one, just a change of pace) has been thrown into the mix this year. My Poppa Bear and Care Bear (my nickname for his wife) are coming to town! This is very exciting for both of us, but I have explained to my pops how our holiday goes down. I am hoping that the Rock Band "Devil Music" won't upset him too much (I typed a bit tongue-in-cheek as he isn't that old).

My family coming to play is not the only change up this year. Husband and I moved out of his 500 square foot studio apartment with it's small one person kitchen, into our new two bedroom apartment with a kitchen were 2 people can be in without strangling each other. Unfortunately though, the oven in dinky. Like only 16 inches wide dinky. So for Thanksgiving Day, the only thing making it in the oven will be the Turkey.

Keeping this "dilemma" in mind, as well as that my family is coming, I plan on cooking my things a day or two ahead of time. Also, I want to look into dishes similar to what I have made in the past, but can be done either on the stove top or served at room temperature. That way, I can do things with my family, and not get in the way of the turkey chef.

So what I will be making this year for Thanksgiving:
Savory Pie: Brie/Onion/Apple (Tarts this year versus a whole pie, but can be served at room temperature)
Dessert Pie: Kahlua Pecan Pie (also can be served at room temperature)
Side Dish: Pearl Onions in Sauce (I will probably make Husband's Grandmother's recipe of them)
Also: Make Ahead COA Relish

Here is the recipe for my Cranberry Relish. It is based off of a recipe from Georganne Syler, my Step-Aunt, who is an amazing cook and teacher. It is a great make ahead recipe for this holiday. The additions from me are in Italics.

Cranberry, Orange, and Apple Relish
1 (12 oz) package of Cranberries
1 whole orange, de-seeded and quartered, but with the peel
1 apple, cored and roughly chopped, type and it the skin is left on is to your preference
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup of pecans, finely chopped (Optional)
Method:
Pulse the cranberries, orange, and apple in the food processor
Move into a saucepan
Add sugar and cinnamon
Cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring thoughtfully
Refrigerate until dinner time.
Stir in pecans, if desired, and serve.

I really enjoy this recipe, but I do have an affection for the canned stuff (Am I right, Kim?!?). The grooves are perfect for slicing and the consistency makes it possible for it to be a subtle flavor versus a whole berry concoction.

No matter what you like, I have to say that a Thanksgiving day spread is not completely without a bit of the red stuff.

(Not a personal photo, but I thought it was appropriate for my love of cranberries!)



** Today's title comes from the great Henry David Thoreau with the full quote reading: "I would rather sit on a pumpkin, and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion." A truer statement could not be made, especially in regards to a fall afternoon. **

No comments:

Post a Comment