Monday, October 21, 2013

You didn't tell me you were gonna kill it!

This is Halloween!



This weekend was a low key weekend. Friday night I worked on costumes; then pumpkin carving Saturday with spooky games in the evening; then an impromptu Disney date (as seen above) to catch a little more Halloween time at Disneyland and California Adventure. Also, I purchased part of Husband's Thirtieth Birthday Present, but y'all will see that in a few weeks after he receives it.

I will post a few photos of my pumpkin (and husbands) after I get the lighting correct as I have to use a color gel and the tea lights are too week to shine through them. The best part about carving pumpkins is getting the seeds afterwards. Granted, it is a lot of work to get the seeds out of the pumpkin "brains," but we were watching Ghostbusters so I was able to do the tedious task with a bit of joy in my heart. Also, we had the innards of 6 pumpkins (though some were pretty small) so I didn't have to be too diligent.

I ended up gathering about 4 cups worth of seeds and I decided to do the bulk of them "savory" and a bit of the "sweet". Probably due to guests arriving, I did not succeed with the sweet batch. They pretty much were burnt to a crisp. (The pumpkin seeds, not the guests.) I will try again next year I suppose. I liked last year's batch of sweet quite a bit. The savory batch were pretty much the best pumpkin seeds I have ever prepared. Here is the recipe:

Cat's Savory Pumpkin Seeds
Ingredients
2 cups pumpkin seeds
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons garlic salt (if you like them REALLY salty, add some regular salt as well)
Method
Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
Get as much pumpkin gunk off the seeds and give them a really good rinse off.
Let the seeds dry a bit. I will rinse them in a mesh colander, then "stir" the seeds with a couple paper towels in hand, and let them sit for a little while.
In a mixing bowl, mix the butter and Worcestershire sauce well and then add the pumpkin seeds a little at a time while stirring constantly until all the seeds are coated.
Pour seeds out onto a pan and then evenly sprinkle the salt over the seeds.
Bake in a low oven for an hour and half.




Everyone who attended games were very happy with them and Husband commented "I like these more than I remember liking last year's". Keep in mind I have no clue what I did to last years, but I have happy to have that point of view on the pumpkin seeds.

I guess we will have to wait until I make Pumpkin Stew or next Halloween to look into trying my sweet recipe again.

In other news: here are my pumpkins I carved!


Until then: What is your favorite way to prepare (and/or eat) pumpkin seeds?


**Today's title comes from Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin. Linus delivers this memorable line to his sister, Lucy, when she begans scooping out the innards of the pumpkin he brought. **

No comments:

Post a Comment