Tuesday, October 29, 2013

I hates it.

Yesterday was the first day in awhile with Husband home as a house hubby.  Between Husband's late hours at work last week, the World Series (Let's Go, Cards!), and a bit of sickness on my part last week, coming home to laundry done and a clean house was a huge blessing. Over psychic paper (text messages) today, we talked about what to have to dinner this week. Considering we still have of pork loin, pork stew, chicken casserole (from my friend Taylor who came over for lunch), stuffed sweet peppers as well as curried carrot and apple soup, I am doing my best to make a little left overs as possible.

As Husband expressed the desire for lighter fare (the past week has been heavier than normal both at home and work), I decided on a Pinterest /Weight Watchers recipe that has been begging my eye as of late.

Spinach Lasagna Rolls
Ingredients:
9 Lasagna noodles, cooked (I only had 6)
10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and completely drained
15 oz part skim ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg
salt and pepper
32 oz tomato sauce
9 Tbs mozzarella cheese, shredded

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, egg, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Ladle about 1 cup of sauce on the bottom of a 9X12 baking dish. (I used 2-3X8 pans)
Place a piece of wax paper on the counter and lay out lasagna noodles. Make sure noodles are dry.
Take 1/3 cup of ricotta mixture and spread evenly over noodle. Roll carefully and place seam side down onto the baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles.
Ladle sauce over the noodles in the baking dish and top each one with 1 tablespoon of mozzarella cheese. Put foil over baking dish and back for 40 minutes, or until cheese melts. Makes 9 rolls.
To serve, ladle a little sauce on the plate and top with lasagna roll.





This was rather well received, I think. Husband and I discussed what it lacked and what we liked about it over dinner. I think that a bit of onion and maybe a tablespoon or so of red pepper flakes would have made it perfect in the world of our palates. Despite this, the flavor was light and appealing. The texture was spot-on actually, as I cooked the pasta very al dente. I liked the pasta-to-filling ratio and the presentation was simple and elegant. In summation, we would definitely enjoy this meal again though I would add a few more things to the filling.



** Today's title is from the 1980 classic, Popeye starring Robin Williams and Shelley Duvall.  "Bluto: So you don't like spinach? Popeye: I hates it." **

No comments:

Post a Comment