Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Meatloaf Cupcakes... comfort food in disguise as a different comfort food?

I like comfort food. it is a nasty habit, but I really just can't get away from it. Then I found a recipe to add more veggies (specifically spinach!) into meatloaf which not only adds to the healthiness factor, but it also keeps it moist without having to add ground pork into the mix (more fat)! So I was all settled to make this wonderful dish and then I realized I didn't want it to cook for an hour so I combined that recipe with a Rachel Ray Classic!

Zesty Paleo Friendly Meatloaf Cooked in a Muffin Tin
Ingredients
2 lbs of ground beef –OR– 2 lbs of ground turkey
3 eggs, whisked
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 onion, chopped small
1 (10 oz) package of frozen spinach, thawed and water drained
1/2 of a red bell pepper, chopped small
1 tsp of chili powder
1 tsp of salt
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 tsp of oregano
1 tsp of thyme
1/2 tsp of cayenne
2 tbs of olive oil (to sauté vegetables)
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350º F
Sauté onions and peppers over medium heat in a saucepan with 2 tbs of olive oil just until tender
Add spinach, garlic, and spices to the sautéed vegetables in the pan, stir gently
Remove saucepan with vegetables from heat, set aside
Put uncooked ground beef (or) ground turkey in a large bowl
Pour the whisked eggs and almond flour and mix into the ground meat with your hands - no need to overdo it
Now take veggies from the saucepan and pour into bowl
Once again, mix the vegetables into the meat with your hands
Press equal parts of the meat loaf into a muffin pan for single servings (and a faster cook time!
Cook about 20 minutes to 25 minutes. Oven cooking times may vary.
Remove from oven and allow to set for about 5 minutes before serving

Serve hot and enjoy!

Both recipes claimed you needed BBQ sauce to make this dish good. I did not add any such thing as I wanted to keep it open to interpretation. Husband made up so very nice mashed potatoes which I then decided to "Ice" the "meat cupcakes" with, though I didn't serve them that way for dinner (I only have so much time in the day before I get hangry). I sometimes wish I were better and adept at using frosting tubes because that would have been sooooooper cool.


boom...

Nevertheless, this dish was very yummy and, also, quite picturesque.

Until the next comfort food...

No comments:

Post a Comment