Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Stuffed with Fall

Y'all...it just needs to be fall...

I don't know why I expect it to be like the Midwest every time we hit October, but I do. Anyway, I rung in the season earlier this month with this little ditty which I am finally getting a chance to write about: Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash

Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (uncooked) of Quinoa
1 Acorn Squash
4 Tablespoons Brown Sugar 
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1/2 cup chopped Broccoli
1/2 a Red Bell Pepper
1/4 cup chopped Red Onion
1/2 cup chopped Mushrooms
Salt and Pepper, to taste
Method:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
Slice the acorn squash in half and seed it. (I toasted my seeds on the side for about 10 minutes)
Sprinkle the brown sugar on each half of the acorn squash and roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
Cook up the 1/2 cup of quinoa per the instructions on the packaging.
Heat oil in a pan and saute the vegetables, adding salt and pepper to taste.
When the squash is done, empty the "juices" that have puddled in the cups into the veggies.
combine the quinoa and sauteed vegetables and place in the squash.
Serve with another fall favorite (or if you aren't vegetarian or vegan, sauteed chicken) on the side.


A filling, easy vegetarian and vegan, meal!

Toasted Acorn Squash Seeds - Light and Crisp

This was a very good dish. I initially didn't add enough brown sugar to the squashes so it was a little less flavorful that I had imagined, but I have adjusted the recipe to fix that. Also, as I am not vegan, I used a bit of butter as well in the squash. This was a very good meal for Husband and I to change up from the plethora of soups and chilis we have been eating. If you like Acorn squash, but don't want it to taste candied, this is the dish for you!

Until the next meal....

No comments:

Post a Comment