Monday, October 6, 2014

BFMH: Tomato and Corn Quiche

So I did the bacon quiche a while back which was ok, but more decadent that healthy start of the day. I was thinking that I really wanted to do a Quiche Lorraine or something of the like, but I felt like I had to revel in summer one last time before it was truly Fall. So I went looking for a healthish summery quiche. Tomato and Corn came to mind and then I started looking. Betty Crocker's Version was one option I considered, but I ultimately decided to do Hint of Honey's Version, just without a crust.

Tomato and Corn Crust
INGREDIENTS
1 butter pie crust
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved and seeded
2 ears corn, kernels sliced off
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 packed cup sharp white Cheddar
2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
1 Tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
DIRECTIONS
Prepare crust according to recipe directions. (Make sure to pre-bake the crust for 10-15 minutes in a 450 F oven until lightly browned.)
To caramelize the onions, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions and soft and golden brown, about 25-35 minutes, reducing the heat as necessary to prevent burning.
Preheat oven to 350 F. Scatter onions in the bottom of the pre-baked crust. Top with the tomatoes, corn, basil, and chives.
In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the eggs, milk, and cheddar. Season generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pour over the filling.
Bake in preheated oven for 45-60 minutes, until the center is set and the top is golden brown. Let cool slightly before serving.

Makes a 9-inch round quiche.


so yum.
much excite

This turned out wonderfully. I highly suggest this dish as an option for brunch or breakfast. It reheats beautifully and is perfectly moist and filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment