Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Failed(ish) Attempts at Pesto Bread

So in my pursuit of expanding my baking over the course of this year, I tried another type of bread recently. There is this BEAUTiful pin that just makes you want to win. Want to know if I managed to hit a home run? Read on...


Pesto Bread

Ingredients
1 ¼ cup water
2 1/3 tsp active dry yeast
1 tsp granulated sugar
1 ½ cup all purpose flour
1 c white whole wheat flour
1 tsp sea salt
3 tbsp Parmesan
Method
Heat water to 115 degrees.
Dissolve yeast and sugar in water.
Allow yeast to proof(see that it foams a bit to see that it is actually active).
Combine flour and salt in your stand up mixer with dough attachment
Run on low speed, slowly adding yeast mixture.
Increase speed to medium high, mixing until dough become a clean ball.
Shape dough into smooth ball and transfer into a greased bowl
Cover and allow to rise for an hour.

(Now is a good time to make some pesto...or pull out your store brought stuff)

Roll out dough into 10 X 20 rectangle.
Spread out pesto over the rectangle.
Roll dough tightly starting with 10 inch side.
Cut in half down the long center.
Braid dough and then allow to rise for 30 minutes.

Bake at 350 for 40 mins.

Do you see the swirls of pesto? 

Sooooooo...my bread didn't rise. MAYBE it did about an inch, but not much more than that.

Not sure what I didn't wrong exactly. I fell like I need to discipline myself a bit more with my measurements. While this bread was short and dense, it was still quite tasty and I will try it again. Maybe after I master a slightly less involved bread.

Until the next loaf...

No comments:

Post a Comment