Tuesday, December 2, 2014

...try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun.

I have been looking and looking for a solid Mexican Macaroni and Cheese recipe. Unfortunately, I was unable to find one that really hit all the flavors I like about mac and cheese as well as what I like about Mexican food. So I just came up with my own recipe.

Please note the <corrections>. Even this things I think will work, don't always. As Our Lady of the Ladle, Julia Child, would say: Learn how to cook -- try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun.

Skillet Prepped, Oven Finished Mexican Mac and Cheese
Ingredients
8 ounces elbow macaroni
1 tablespoon vegetable oil 
1 pound ground turkey or lean ground beef (leave out for vegetarian)
1 cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced <2 Cloves>
16-oz. jar tomato salsa < 1 jar Rotel>
1 15-oz. can tomato sauce <too much liquid, instead use half a can of diced tomatoes>
1 can of green Anaheim chilies 
Taco seasonings (see below)
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese <I ended up using 2 cups>
1 cup corn kernels
1 teaspoon lime juice
2 tablespoons crushed tortilla chips

Taco Seasonings:
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon Sea salt
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon oregano
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
Cook pasta until just tender, about 8 minutes or as package label directs. Drain.
Warm oil in a large oven safe skillet over medium-high heat.
Add meat, onion, and 1/2 tsp. salt.
Cook, breaking up chunks with a wooden spoon, until meat loses its pink color, about 5 minutes.
Stir in salsa, tomato sauce, Anaheim chilies, and taco seasonings.
Whisk in flour until well combined.
Gradually whisk in milk and cook, stirring constantly, until completely incorporated.
Stir in cheese until smooth.
Stir in pasta, corn kernels, and lime juice.
Top with crumbs or your choice.
Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes.
Spoon into bowls and garnish, if desired, with tomato, jalapeno, avocado, additional salsa, and cilantro.

So as you can tell from above, a few things needed to change while I was making the dish.

I don't think the tortilla chips are really necessary.

I think I would change it even further by getting some milk involved to get us closer to the Mac and Cheese idea, versus the "Pasta Bake" feel I got from it.

Blurry, I know. Not really Mac and Cheese, more of a Pasta Bake.
All in all, the flavor of this dish turned out WONDERFULLY. It was solid try for a "make it up from my own brain" and I hopefully we get to work on making it even better next time I attempt it.

Cooking up all the veggies

While it is not exactly what I envisioned, it was a very satisfying meal and hit all the points I wanted it to, save the cheesiness factor.

Until the next experiment...

No comments:

Post a Comment