Thursday, December 4, 2014

Post Thanksgiving Idea: Right on Time (Turkey Pot Pie Soup)

If you are like me, you have some leftovers from Thanksgiving still. This doesn't upset me one bit. I find that it is rare that I get tired of left overs, but perhaps that is because of the fact I doll them up in more that just repeat mini Thanksgivings and sandwiches. Today's Post Thanksgiving Idea is a simple one, especially if you make turkey broth with your turkey carcass as it is Turkey Pot Pie Soup!
I made this recipe up on the fly and figured that using the magic that is my Crockpot would increase the yumminess. Other Post Thanksgiving Ideas that I have done are: Mashed Potato Waffles with Turkey, Brie, and Cranberry and Turkey Cranchiladas.

Turkey Pot Pie Soup Recipe

Ingredients
3 cups homemade turkey broth
2 cups water
1 cup peas, frozen 
1 cup corn, frozen 
1/2 cup carrots , diced (I used the carrots that I cooked in the broth)
1 cup white or yellow onion, diced (I used the onion that I cooked in the broth)
1/2 cup celery, diced (I used the celery that I cooked in the broth)
3 cups potatoes, diced
1 tbsp sage
1 bayleaf 
1 tsp thyme
2 tsp parsley
1 tbs salt
2 tsp black pepper
3 cups turkey, shredded
4 tbsp of butter
2 1/2 cups milk
6 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 cup half and half
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
Method
Put homemade turkey broth, water, peas, corn, carrots, onion, celery, potatoes, sage, bayleaf, thyme, parsley, salt, black pepper, and turkey. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
About 30 minutes before serving, in a medium saucepan set over medium heat, melt 4 Tbsp butter. Stir in flour and cook mixture, stirring constantly for 1 1/2 minutes (you need to do this to cook the flour, it makes quite a difference in flavor). While whisking slowly pour in milk and whisk vigorously to smooth lumps. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture to a boil over medium high heat (to thicken it) while stirring constantly, then remove from heat and stir in cream. Pour and stir milk mixture into mixture in pot. Stir in lemon juice. Remove bay leaf and serve warm with a biscuit or roll.

Creamy, comfort food!
Before the Roux and Half and Half were added, it looked like this.
Gotta top it with some bread.
Husband was very happy with the outcome as was I. It was a very good use of the stewed veggies from the broth I had made the few days before as well as the Turkey meat that had come off the carcass while "brothing". This recipe really worked out well as I had everything to make it already in my kitchen. I usually have frozen corn and peas in my freezer

I attempted to make pie crust "lids" for the soup bowls, but they burnt. there was smoke everywhere. So even though we didn't have a nice warm fire to curl up next to, we did have that warm smokey scent.

Hurray for Leftovers Reinvisioned!

No comments:

Post a Comment