Friday, February 13, 2015

Back to the Classics: Steakhouse Edition: Creamed Spinach

I never liked vegetables as a child or a young adult. It is a thing. I have learned to like/at least eat vegetables over the course of my adolescences and learned to like them as an adult. There are still certain veggies I am not a huge fan of, but spinach was the first one I truly enjoyed and still have a tendency to crave. So I decided to make the least healthy way you can enjoy spinach (except maybe in Mac and Cheese Florentine), a little healthier.

Lighter Version of Creamed Spinach
INGREDIENTS:
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup freshly minced onion or shallots
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 Tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups fat free milk
2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
4 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese
16 oz. bag frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained of all moisture
DIRECTIONS:
In a large sauté pan set to medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and garlic; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Whisk in flour and cook 1 more minute. Reduce heat to low and whisk in milk, parmesan cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Add cream cheese and mix until smooth. Add spinach and combine well with sauce. Cook 1 minute, until heated through. Adjust seasonings as desired. Serve hot.
Enjoy!

I wish I had broiled the cheese on top.
This recipe was very good and rather simple. My only issue is that it is a bit too creamy. I think that I could use only 1/2 a cup of milk and be happy, or only 2 ozs of cream cheese. Also, I think it needs a full teaspoon of salt, but that is a personal choice.

Here is something fun about Spinach!

Until the next Steakhouse Classic...

No comments:

Post a Comment