Thursday, February 12, 2015

Back to the Classics: Steakhouse Edition: Crab Cakes

I don't know why, but I wasn't able to find lump crab meat. I know that EVERYTHING FISH is EXPENSIVE RIGHT NOW, but I guess my Ralphs didn't even have any. Meh, whatever, super lame. So I got some imitation stuff. I am no worried about the flavor with it as I have had it before in Stuffed Mushrooms, but I am worried about the texture. I will be extra diligent to shred the crab so that it less noticeable, I hope.

Cooking Light's Crab Cakes
Crab Cake Ingredients:
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 1/2 tablespoons canola-based mayonnaise (such as Spectrum brand) 
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind 
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice 
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 large egg 
1/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1 pound lump crabmeat, drained and shell pieces removed (I used imitation so vegetarian!)
1 tablespoon olive oil, divided 
Remoulade Ingredients: 
1/4 cup canola-based mayonnaise 
1 tablespoon chopped shallots
1 1/2 tablespoons capers, drained and chopped
2 teaspoons Creole mustard
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice 
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt 
Preparation
1. To prepare crab cakes, combine first 8 ingredients. Add panko and crab, tossing gently to combine. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
2. Fill a 1/3-cup dry measuring cup with crab mixture. Invert onto work surface; gently pat into a 3/4-inch-thick patty. Repeat procedure with remaining crab mixture, forming 8 cakes.
3. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 crab cakes to pan; cook 4 minutes or until bottoms are golden. Carefully turn cakes; cook 4 minutes or until bottoms are golden and crab cakes are thoroughly heated. Remove cakes from pan; keep warm. Wipe pan dry with paper towels. Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in pan. Repeat procedure with remaining 4 crab cakes.
4. To prepare rémoulade, combine 1/4 cup mayonnaise and remaining ingredients in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Serve with crab cakes.


What? a sauce made of Mayo and Mustard and my Husband liked it? BOOM!

These were very nice! Get fresh parsley, don't try to make due with fake. Husband and I agreed that it was lacking something and then I added a little bit more crushed dried parsley to the sauce. It helped quite a bit. The faux crab was decent enough that I would not be too bummed out to make crab cakes with it again in the future, though it would be significantly better with realy crab. Maybe someday when I am richer and able to find it in the store.

I will be making some Thai Crab Cakes later this month thanks to an AWESOME suggestion from Ken.

No comments:

Post a Comment