Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Back to the Classics: Steakhouse Edition: Twice Baked Potatoes with Horseradish

PO-TA-TO. Boil 'em, Mash 'em, Put 'em in a stew.

Best side dish for everything. Hands down, hits the spot anytime I have them, even when they are horrid. The startchy goodness makes me FAR TOO happy and my inner fatty has to wrestle with me daily over this. Anyway, here is a spectacular rendition of a Twice Baked Potato without it being all cheddar cheese and bacon.

Twice Baked Potatoes with Fresh Horseradish
Ingredients
4 medium russet potatoes (about 7 oz. each), scrubbed and dried
5 Tbs. unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbs. finely grated Pecorino Romano (3/4 oz.)
1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
1/4 cup half-and-half, at room temperature
2 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. finely grated fresh horseradish
1 Tbs. thinly sliced chives; more for garnish
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions
Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 400°F.
Prick the potatoes a few times with a fork. Put the potatoes directly on the oven rack and bake until tender when pierced with a skewer, 50 to 60 minutes.
While the potatoes are still hot, hold each one with a clean dishtowel and cut off about one-quarter lengthwise. With a spoon, scoop the potato flesh out into a medium bowl, leaving enough on the skins that they hold their shape. Add 4 Tbs. of the butter to the potato flesh, and with a potato masher, work the potatoes until lightly mashed but not completely smooth. Stir in 1/2 cup of the pecorino, the sour cream, half-and-half, 2 Tbs. of the horseradish, the chives, 1 tsp. salt, and a few grinds of pepper and mix until combined. Mound the filling into the potatoes. Cut the remaining 1 Tbs. butter into 4 pieces and top each potato with a pat of butter. Transfer to a small rimmed baking sheet or baking dish. (The potatoes may be prepared to this point up to 6 hours ahead; cover and refrigerate. Add 5 to 10 minutes to the baking time.)
In a small bowl, thoroughly mix the remaining 2 Tbs. pecorino and 2 tsp. horseradish with your fingers. Sprinkle over the potatoes. Bake until the potatoes are heated through and the tops are golden-brown, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with chives.




By the suggestion of Logan, I decided to rub the potato with olive oil and roll in cracked rock salt before plopping on the middle oven rack. Daaaaaaaanng.....I normally just do Crisco (I know, I am a fat kid) and salt, but the olive oil was solid. I don't think I will be going back.

This was a loverly change for the typical twice baked potato I make. It still had the creamy, cheesiness, but with a tang of spice thanks to the Horsradish. I would most certainly be making this again.

I didn't finish the rest of the food on my plate, but I did eat all of the twice baked potato. always a good sign.

Until the next starchy thing that makes my taste buds happy...

No comments:

Post a Comment