Thursday, February 5, 2015

Back to the Classics: Steakhouse Edition: Caprese Salad

This is one of my favorite dishes. My best friend, Mugsy, loves it as well. Being one of the first things we bonded over, I thought it would be a decent thing to post about. I remember in Sophomore year in college, my best friend and roommate at the time, Diggy, decided to have a night in and watch some movies together. I offered to make some food for us and as we were both vegetarian then, I decided to make this little dish as catch all dish: dairy, protein, carb, vitamin C, fiber, antioxidants, and most importantly, deliciousness. It now reminds me of both Mugsy and Diggy anytime I eat it.

Caprese Salad
Ingredients
2 cups Balsamic Vinegar
3 whole Ripe Tomatoes, Sliced Thick
12 ounces, weight Mozzarella Cheese, Sliced Thick
 Fresh Basil Leaves
 Olive Oil, For Drizzling
 Kosher Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Preparation Instructions
In a small saucepan, bring balsamic vinegar to a boil over medium-low heat. Cook for 10 to 20 minutes, or until balsamic has reduced to a thicker glaze. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl or cruet. Allow to cool.
When you're ready to serve, arrange tomato and mozzarella slices on a platter. Arrange basil leaves between the slices. Drizzle olive oil over the top of the salad, getting a little bit on each slice. Do the same with the balsamic reduction, making designs if you want. Store extra balsamic reduction in fridge for a later use.
End with a sprinkling of kosher salt and black pepper. Serve as a lunch, with crusty bread. Or serve alongside a beef main course for dinner.



So I was super dumb when I went to the grocers. I complete forgot the buy fresh basil. My little basil plant died about 6 months ago due to accidental over watering and I still forget that he is gone. RIP Basel. I realize this while I am prepping to make this yummy dish and have no more time to run to the store. Husband, who is a stupidly wonderful man, offers to run to the store. Being a quick thinker, I tell him know and instead re-hydrated some dried basil flakes and then infused the Balsamic Vinegar with the flavor of basil and garlic. While this quick fix tasted good, I missed the fresh basil still. It allows for the satisfying "tear" action of the leaf as well as equally distributes the basil flavor.

While a bit of a let down for me, Husband and I downed the plate as the salad course of our Lunch together and were happily satiated never the less.

No comments:

Post a Comment