Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Back to the Classics: Steakhouse Edition: Glazed Carrots

I want to like carrots, but really, I don't. I will eat them as a healthy choice, but I never crave them or think "Dang, that carrot didn't taste like grass!"

The one thing I dislike more that a raw carrot is a cooked carrot. Mushy and amplified warm grassy flavor, not really up my alley. but then I found this recipe. I find roasting ANYTHING long enough will make it palatable. Add Balsamic, and I might just like it. So when I found the following recipe on one of my favorite websites, Budget Bytes, I knew I had to try it as a side dish for my Steakhouse Series.

Ingredients
1-2 lbs. carrots
2 Tbsp olive oil
¼ tsp each salt & pepper
2 Tbsp honey
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp butter (left out)
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Clean and peel the carrots. Cut the carrots into one-inch sections (cut on a diagonal for more visual appeal).
Cover a baking sheet with foil. Place the carrots on the sheet and drizzle with olive oil and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss the carrots to coat. Place in the oven and roast for 40 minutes, stirring once half way through.
During the last ten minutes of cooking, prepare the balsamic glaze. Combine the balsamic vinegar and honey in a small pot. Simmer the mixture over medium heat for approximately 10 minutes or until thickened. Once thickened, turn off the heat and stir in the butter until melted.(I left it out)
When the carrots come out of the oven, drizzle with the honey balsamic glaze and toss to coat. Serve warm!

Not a great photo, more like a really bad one.
While I did manage to burn the carrots a bit, they turned out very yummy! I blame it on the balsamic vinegar (I use a white version) and honey. I don't see how it can be bad. There was still a lite flavor of grass, but if you put balsamic on something, I will eat it. Make these, even Husband who only like cooked carrots that have been cooked with meaty juices for 6 hours, found these delightful.

Until next time I am surprised at what I like...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment