Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Back to the Classics: Steakhouse Edition: Caesar Dressing

OK, back to the kitchen with me. I finally found something that I really wanted to make: Caesar Salad.

I took this stroke of inspiration to formulate my next posts. As Caesar Salad is a steakhouse staple, I decided to go "Back to the Classics:Steakhouse Edition". I will be starting out with Salads and Appetizers and work my way through the typical Menus options that I can't decide between every time I go to an excellent steakhouse. I apologize in advance to all my Vegetarian and Vegan readers. Check back in a few weeks.

I don't know about you all, but I LOVE a solid Caesar dressing. I don't want it creamy or even heavy on the cheese. I want it tangy and tart and with a kick of anchovy saltiness. I want my mouth to start watering when I smell it and I want the garlic to burn my nose a bit. I'm not the only one.

So after an awesome work out with KimmyG and Kris, I whipped up some dressing to dress my romaine hearts and some slow cooked shredded chicken I had made in the Crockpot early today.


Ingredients
SERVINGS: 6
The Dressing
6 anchovy fillets packed in oil, drained
1 small garlic clove
Kosher salt
2 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus more
¾ teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
Freshly ground black pepper
Preparation
Chop together anchovy fillets, garlic, and pinch of salt. Use the side of a knife blade to mash into a paste, then scrape into a medium bowl. Whisk in egg yolks, 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, and mustard. Adding drop by drop to start, gradually whisk in olive oil, then vegetable oil; whisk until dressing is thick and glossy. Whisk in Parmesan. Season with salt, pepper, and more lemon juice, if desired


I was only serving 3 people so I halved some of the ingredients, but not all of the recipe. I actually increased a few things to my tastes: Mine was more like this:
3 anchovy fillets packed in oil, drained
1 large garlic clove
Kosher salt
1 large egg yolk
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus more
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Freshly ground black pepper

I didn't use Parmesan either (I know, I shouldn't really even call it Caesar then!) as I am attempting the Slow Carb Diet again.

All of these changes and exclusions considered, it was amazingly good. So good that this is how much was left from 2 hearts of romaine!


A perfect elevenses snack.


Next time I will have to try this recipe for the dressing. The addition of the Worcestershire sauce and the use of green garlic intrigue me. Also, I like her method of boiling the egg briefly.

No comments:

Post a Comment