Monday, January 5, 2015

BFMH: Overnight Oatmeal

Here we have a My Pinterest Board: Live Fail!
Here is the recipe I thought would be easy to try:

Overnight Oatmeal a la Alton
Ingredients
1 cup steel cut oats
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup dried figs
4 cups water
1/2 cup half-and-half
Directions
In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients and set to low heat. Cover and let cook for 8 to 9 hours.
Stir and remove to serving bowls. This method works best if started before you go to bed. This way your oatmeal will be finished by morning.

...
...
...

and here is how my crock pot looked come 9 hours later:
poop water....
I went a little rogue, but I didn't expect it to be QUITE so bad. I used Old Fashioned Oats and not  Steel Cut Oats. I will have to try it again with the right kind of Oats, but this was a HUGE let down when I woke up.

So I made some oatmeal stove top.

I did make 2 other alterations to the recipe, but I don't think it would have caused THIS much of a debacle. As I didn't have figs or cranberries, I used some apple and raisins instead. perhaps the moisture from the apples added to the ick. I don't know.

Anyway, this is one for the books. a breakfast fail to the max.

2 comments:

  1. I have become quite the oatmeal expert since Will eats it almost every day. Steel cut and rolled oats are very different. I use the rice cooker to cook the steel cut ones. You can do rolled oats in the microwave. Steel cut ones take like an hour on the stove to cook. I switch between both based on my time for the week. I would recommend trying the steel cut oats. They are nuttier and smoother than rolled oats. I am sure it is the way they cut them. You will have a better result with the steel cut. I can assure you of that. I also like to put a little protein and flaxseed in the oatmeal for added nutrition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz! I will try this again with the appropriate oats as well and try a bit of flaxseed. :)

      Delete