Friday, November 7, 2014

Hungry for Hungary :: Creamy Mushroom Paprikash for Super Swell Times

Y'all! I got invited to write a guest blog post for my friend Liz! How cool is that? You should go check out her blog over HERE!

This is what I submitted to her:

Hungry for Hungary


I am honored to have been invited by Liz to write a guest post for her blog. As she is out traveling some of the best places in Eastern Europe, I can't help but think about my trip out to that area of the world. While we were in Budapest, my "pseudo" family, the Henderson, and I enjoyed taking a cooking class with chefparade and we brought back several traditional recipes and a butt load of great memories. As Liz is getting to see the wonderful city/cities, I thought it would be a perfect recipe to share with y'all.

Tejfolos Gombapaprikas is sort of like a Beef Stroganoff dish where there are noodles or dumplings as a bed for a creamy sauce with vegetables (and sometimes meat or poultry). I assume it is a comfort food in Hungry, much like Macaroni and Cheese in America. I like to make a few changes to the original recipe to fit with my pantry, so I don't buy a bunch of things I don't normally/won't use for any other recipe.

With out further ado, here is the recipe...

Not much to look at, but filling and tasty.

Tejfolos Gombapaprikas (Creamy Mushroom Paprikash) Recipe
Serves 6 people
Ingredients
1/2 cup of sunflower oil <Sub extra virgin olive oil>
2 medium onions, chopped 
1 pound of mushrooms
2 medium tomatoes, chopped <Sub 1 can diced >
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 TV paprika, chopped <Sub 3 mini sweet peppers, or, as in my case, caramelize a green bell pepper>
1 tablespoon sweet paprika powder
1 cup sour cream  
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
1 handful of fresh parsley chopped
Egg noodles or shell noodles
Preparation
Clean onions and mushrooms.
Chop onions, tomatoes, and pepper as finely as possible. Chop mushrooms in fourths.
Using a large pan heat 1/2 cup of oil. 
Add onions to oil, salt lightly to sweat and soften and stir fry for 3-4 minutes. 
Take pan off heat and stir in sweet paprika powder well.
Return to heat and add TV paprika (sweet pepper) and tomato. Stew for 7 - 10 minutes until saucy.
Add mushrooms and season to taste with salt, pepper, and additional sweet paprika powder.
Cook until mushrooms and soft and juicy
In a separate bowl, combine sour cream and 1.5 tablespoons of flour.
Add about 1/2 cup of juices from the heated mixture into sour cream mixture while stirring constantly. <You want to do this so you don't shock the sour cream and make it curdle, thus ruining the dish.>
Mix well and pour all of sour cream mixture into heated mixture.
Bring to a simmer once more adding parsley.
Let thicken and serve over egg noodles or shell noodles.


<This recipe can be easily altered to Chicken Paprikash by substituting 8 oz of the mushrooms with cubed chicken breast and cooking it with the onion in the oil.>

Since there were no sweet peppers at my grocery store, I caramelized  a bell pepper as a substitute.
I recently ran out of my sweet paprika, so I use what I had left of my spicy paprika from my trip!
Just look at that medley of vegetables and delicious!
Sour Cream = Rich mouthfuls of great texture
Table is set. Pair with a crisp white or light bodied red.

I hope y'all enjoyed this little slice of Eastern Europe. If you like cooking, breakfast foods, cosplays, and crafting, you should pop by My Pinterest Board: Live.

No comments:

Post a Comment