Monday, November 17, 2014

BFMH: Oatmeal Baked Apples

It is finally feeling like Fall here is Southern California. So I decided eating some baked apples just made sense. I found this little recipe on Pinterest, but without a link for some weird reason so I decided that I would just go ahead and make it.

Oatmeal Baked Apples
3-4 apples
1. Slice 3-4 apples in half with a large knife, then scoop out the seeds and stem parts with a melon baller.
2. Mix together: a little over quarter cup of coconut oil or margarine (you can also use melted butter or fat of your choice)
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup flour (I used whole wheat) or gluten-free 'flour' of your choice
1/2 cup brown sugar (or white sugar with date syrup or molasses or agave syrup)
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of ground ginger
pinch of salt
3. Fill and top apple halves with the mixture.
4. Bake at 350 F/180 C until tops are golden brown and apples swell, about 30 minutes <This proved to be FAR too long in my oven>

smooshy flavor
Not much to look at, but so much to taste
While these are not very pretty, mainly because they only needed about 30 minutes in my oven, the texture and flavor turned out very nicely. I will make these again in the future once I can make them a bit more attractive to the consumer.

No comments:

Post a Comment