Thursday, May 7, 2015

A few quotes from my Hero, Julia Child

After some careful thought and meditation, I decided that my "perfect kitchen" would be one that embodies everything for which Julia Child stood. Not only as a chef, but also as the first cooking show host, an entrepreneur, a wife, a Service woman, and a woman of an extreme height difference to most of her peers.



Here are some wonderful insights and quotes from "Our Lady of the Ladle", Julia Child:

Fat gives things flavor.

If you're afraid of butter, use cream.

The only time to eat diet food is while you are waiting for the steak to cook.

Learn how to cook -- try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all have fun.

I think every woman should have a blowtorch.

Maybe the cat has fallen into the stew, or the lettuce has frozen, or the cake has collapsed -- eh bien, tant pis! Usually one's cooking is better than one thinks it is. And is the food is truly vile, as my ersatz eggs Florentine surely were, the the cook must simply git her teeth and bear it with a smile --and learn from her mistakes.

I think one of the terrible things today is that people have this deathly fear of food: fear of eggs, say, or fear of butter. Most doctors feel that you can have a little bit of everything.

I always give my bird a generous butter massage before I put it in the oven. Why? Because I think the chicken likes it---and, more important, I like to give it.

I just hate health food.

No one it born a great cook, one learns by doing.

If it tastes good, there's butter in it.

Always remember: If you're alone in the kitchen and you drop the lamb, you can always just pick it up. Who's going to know.

You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces--just good food from fresh ingredients.

I think careful cooking is love, don't you? the loveliest think you can cook for someone who's close to you is about as nice as a Valentine as you can give.

People who love to eat are always the best people.

It is hard to imagine a civilization without onions.

How can a nation be great if its bread tastes like Kleenex?



Cooking well doesn't mean cooking fancy.

Everything in moderation...including moderation.

With enough butter, anything is good.

A party without cake is really just a meeting.

The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what the hell attitude.

Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interest in it.

Cooking is like love: it should be entered into with abandon or not at all.

No one's more important than people. In other words, friendship is the most important thing. not career or house work, or one's fatigue - and it need to be tended and nurtured.

Always start out with a larger pot than what you think you'll need.

I was 32 when I started cooking; up until then I just ate.

It's fun to get together and have something good to eat at least once a day. Thant's what human like is all about - enjoying things.

Life itself is a proper binge.

A cookbook is only as good as its poorest recipe.



We has a happy marriage because we were together all the time. We were friends as well as husband and wife. We just had a good time.

You are the butter to my bread and the breath to my life.

I enjoy cooking with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food I'm cooking.

The thing about food is you're a much happier person if you eat well and treasure your meals.

It's so beautiful arranged on the plate - you know someone's finger have been all over it.

Bon appetit.

The best was to execute French cooking is to get good and loaded and whack the hell out of a chicken.

I wouldn't keep him around long if I didn't feed him well.

Dining with one's friends and beloved family is certainly one of life's primal and most innocent delights, one that is both soul satisfying and eternal.

Drama is very important in life: you have to come on with a bang. You never want to go out with a whimper. Everything can have drama if it's done right. Even a pancake.

Moderation. Small Helpings. Sample a little bit of everything. These are the secrets of happiness and good health.

Just speak very loudly and quickly, and state your position with utter conviction as the French do, and you'll have a marvelous time!



And one last one not by Julia Child:
A recipe has no soul. You, as the cook, must bring soul to the recipe. - Thomas Keller





No comments:

Post a Comment