Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Beef and Butternut Squash Stew thanks to Giada De Laurentiis (who did NOT create Toasted Ravs)


So the first day of Fall has come and gone. I was busy moving into my new home so I failed to get this post up until now. I LOVE Autumn! I love the weather, the colors, but, most of all, the FOOD. Seasonal produce like numerous types of Squashes, Apples, Cranberries, Persimmons, and Pumpkin mixed with late summer crops just make me so happy and my taste buds are a light! Hearty foods like Stews, Soups, Casseroles, and Pies make for a less than awesome waistline for me, but a super happy tummy.

Thus, for the first day of Fall, I made a Stew that I knew Pigeon (Husband) would love and that I would enjoy making and smelling all through the house.

Beef and Butternut Squash Stew

Ingredients
3 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (didn't have, didn't add)
2 pounds stew beef, cut into 2-inch cubes (the store was out of stew beef so I used Bottom Round)
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup Marsala wine (I used port)
1 pound butternut squash, trimmed and cut into 2-inch cubes
1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
3 to 4 cups beef broth
2 tablespoons fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley (didn't have, didn't add)
Crusty bread, for serving

In a large soup pot heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, rosemary, and thyme and saute until the onions are tender, about 2 minutes. Toss the beef cubes in salt and pepper and flour. Turn up the heat to med-high and add the beef to the pot. Cook until the beef is browned and golden around the edges, about 5 minutes. Add the Marsala wine. Using a wooden spoon, gently stir up all the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the butternut squash and sun-dried tomatoes and stir to combine. Add enough beef broth to just cover the beef and squash. Bring the stew to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Season the stew with additional salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley. Serve with crusty bread alongside.



hmmm...beef and butternut squash...


Instagramed a bit of yum.

Seriously, this was amazeballs. I am thinking that this is the new favorite dish for the first day of Fall. I am all for that. The sundried tomatoes added a spectacular sweetness that complimented the butternut squash marvelously, without taking over. I think 3 cloves of garlic instead of 2, but I love me some garlic. I will probably try this bad boy again in the future, but in the Crockpot. I will let you know how that goes.




Until next time...Cook it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment