Monday, September 15, 2014

BFMH (and Auntie): Chocolate Banana Bread

I am so behind on the baking side of cooking. This is one of the delights I made while Auntie was is town. Here is my first ever attempt at a Banana Bread:

Chocolate Banana Bread
Ingredients
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/3 cup veg oil
1 and ½ cup mashed banana
1 t vanilla
1 and ½ cup flour
½ cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1 t baking soda
½ t salt
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
Method
Preheat oven to 350
Beat sugar, eggs, and oil together until combines. Beat in mashed bananas and vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and chocolate chips.
Stir into wet mixture until just combined.
Spray and standard loaf size pan with non stick spray and dust with flour, then pour in batter.
Bake for 60-70 minutes until top is cracked and bread is cooked through (if you touch top of loaf and it should spring back).
Bread may also be baked in 3 small loaf pans for about 45 mines (watch though, as different pans vary)

As you can see below, I decided to make the baking time go a bit faster by dividing it into 2 standard size pans verses a single pan. This cut baking time to 30 mins




While the flavor is very nice, I would not call this banana bread. I would call this Brownie with a hint of Banana Bread. Don't get me wrong, the flavor and moistness are solid, it is just not very bananananananananay. I only had 3 bananas, so I probably missed about 1/2 a cup of the amount called for in the recipe, even then though, I don't think it would have a very strong banana flavor with 2 more bananas in it. 

I will try to make another Banana Bread here soon, but not one with competing flavors I think, as Husband really likes the fruity flavor of said dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment